Boil Water Notices

Click here for Current Boil Water Notices

Boil water notices are issued to all properties that are affected. We routinely monitor your water for turbidity (cloudiness). This tells us whether we are effectively filtering the water supply. If a boil water notice has been issued for your area, please use the following precautions.

What should I do? What does this mean?

DO NOT DRINK THE WATER WITHOUT BOILING IT FIRST. Bring all water to a boil, let it boil for one minute, and let it cool before using, or use bottled water. Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes, and food preparation until further notice. Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.

Turbidity has no health effects. However, turbidity can interfere with disinfection and provide a medium for microbial growth. Turbidity may indicate the presence of disease-causing organisms. These organisms include bacteria, viruses, and parasites, which can cause symptoms such as nausea, cramps, diarrhea, and associated headaches.

The symptoms above are not caused only by organisms in drinking water. If you experience any of these symptoms and they persist, you may want to seek medical advice. People at increased risk should seek advice from their health care providers about drinking this water.

What is being done?

We are taking steps to ensure the required level of treatment is maintained. The cause of the treatment lapse has been identified and we are making repairs and improvements at the O. B. Curtis Water Treatment Plant to address the issue and decrease the possibility of a repeat occurrence. We will inform you when turbidity returns to appropriate levels and when you no longer need to boil your water. We anticipate resolving the problem within the next 4-7 days.

For more information, please contact the City of Jackson Water Lab at 601-960-2723. General guidelines on ways to lessen the risk of infection by microbes are available from the EPA Safe Drinking Water Hotline at 1-800-426-4791.


Comments are closed